June 24, 2009

Playing games in June

Job kept, Spaghetti dinner held, all was good and time rolled on. About a week before the walk ‘Team Looney Tunes’ had a team meeting. its at this time Lisa mentioned the relay committee was expecting all the teams to decorate their own sites based on board games. Trying very hard to find inspiration the five of us sat brain storming and tossing out ideas but nothing seems grand enough. Then an Idea popped in my head and i blurted it out… “Why don't we do connect four? I’ll build a over sized connect four board that people can actually play!”  One by one everyone started to like the idea… and final we all agreed.  

So now I had less then seven days to design, build, and paint a fully functional over sized connect four board. I spent the weekends going threw some materials i had lying around my basement and instantly knew how I was going to build it..  I started work on the game first thing Sunday and continued working on it about two hours a day for the next few days…   By Wednesday the unit was built functional and ready for paint.  By Thursday it was painted and waiting for people to play!

 SNC00054

SNC00059

 

 

 

 

SNC00062

 

SNC00056

 

 

 

 

SNC00070

 

SNC00075

 

 

 

 

SNC00076

 

 

Lisa painted the disks and primed the unit. She Rocks!

 

SNC00079

The following Friday we arrived at the relay walk and carried the game board onto the field.. It was great to hear people in awe as they exclaimed “I want to play”   The game board was a great success and everyone loved it… We got so many people stopping by our site to play! A few people even requested that we make sure and bring it next year because it was so fun to play! 

I have a quick video that i shot the Saturday morning of the walk, regrettably many people had already packed up and left but it shows some of the other sites and their attempts and decorating to a game theme.   Enjoy

No comments: