January 5, 2009

Vegetable Soup

In an effort to eat healthier Lisa was inspired to try her hand at home made soups using crock pot slow cooking. Lisa and a friend found a recipe for a vegetable barley soup last Saturday night, Lisa also bought herself a soups and stews recipe book, This past Sunday afternoon Lisa was in the kitchen chopping and dicing all fresh ingredient, Then she pouring everything into her crock pot. It’s the first time I’ve really seen her cook something from scratch and it was something to watch, she handled the kitchen knife with skills!

Several hours later we learned that her crock pot didn’t get quite hot enough to soften the potatoes in time for dinner, but a quick boil on the stove solved that and soon we both had steaming hot bowls of a fresh vegetable soup. Lisa was a bit disappointed because the soup did turn out a little bland. But I’m being honest here all it needed was a little salt. I added some salt to mine and then I wolfed down the whole bowl! It was good stuff. We also learned that when you crockpot cook you end up with plenty of leftovers… We ended up with enough for several more dinners for both of us so we froze our leftovers.

Ummmmm Soup! I cant wait till she makes beef stew. Your soup was delicious bunches!

No comments: